What the heck is this place?

This is my space for books - as if I don't have enough of them in the house! ;-) My plan is to create an on-going catalogue of what I own, what I've borrowed, and what I'm planning to read. It's mostly for my own benefit, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless if you happen to pop by.

I'm also using this as my research "database" for my writing, with links to articles, blogs, websites, and other interesting tidbits at Webography...

I also have a blog for my cross-stitching passions at The Workbox.

Ta!

Sunday 22 February 2009

Dead after dark anthology




Title: Dead after dark
Author(s): Sherrilyn Kenyon, J. R. Ward, Susan Squires, and Dianna Love
Published: December 2008 by St. Martin's Press
Genre: Paranormal romance
Includes:
      * Sherrilyn Kenyon's "Shadow of the moon"
      * J. R. Ward's "The story of Son"
      * Susan Squires' "Beyond the night"
      * Dianna Love's "Midnight kiss goodnight"

Since it included Sherrilyn Kenyon's latest addition to the Dark-Hunter universe, this anthology was a must-buy (actually it was a Christmas present that I only now - cough, cough - got around to reading!), but I loved 3 out of the 4 stories contained within it's pages. I'm not, for the most part, a fan of short stories - since I prefer, for the most part, character over plot (though the plot has to be there as well - I'm not an easy girl to please ;-), there's not enough character development within the span of a short story (for obvious reasons).

      * Kenyon's "Shadow of the moon" is Fury's story - the latest addition to the were-hunter sub-series. It was a good little snippet, a teaser with old characters reappearing (Z, but no Bob - pout!), a new plotline that will probably be carried over, and all the while whetting our appetite for Fang and Aimee's story due out in the summer.

      * Ward's "The story of Son" was unexpected - I had borrowed her first book in the "Black Dagger Brotherhood" series, but I never got around to reading it and she was pushed back to the end of my authors-to-read list. After breezing through this story, I've already ordered the first two books in her series! It starts out with a female lawyer who has no interest in the domestic sphere, or anything to do with men - until she is held captive for a rather unusual man. Nice mix of sex, sensuality, action, and plot.

      * I have never read anything previously of Susan Squires, but after flipping through her "Beyond the night," I probably won't. A female vampire masquerading as a ghost, the hero on the lam, and a dead-former-love - with a weird vampiric backstory. Too much eroticism, not enough plot.

      * What wasn't there to "love" about Love's "Midnight kiss goodnight"? It had strong characters, a driven and up-beat plot, backstory...shades of Kenyon's 'Dark-hunter' and 'BAD' series combined, but a girl can't be picky, can she? ;-)

      Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment